Did you know that your rheumatology fellowship personal statement can help you get a better chance of being accepted into the rheumatology fellowship? Many applicants assume that they only need to focus on their academic standing to be considered for the fellowship. They were wrong. Most institutions that offer fellowships in rheumatology also consider this part of the application to determine if the applicant is suited for the program. If you want to have your rheumatology PS remembered, you should try your best to capture your personality on that piece of paper. So how does one make a good impression with your writing?
A powerful and catchy introduction can make all the difference on the overall verdict about you. The main objective of the opening sentence is to draw reader’s attention and show that you have a unique and memorable story worth reading. Here’s a very great example of how you should open your statement, it is an excerpt from a personal statement of the winner of the Fulbright U.S. Student Grant:
« My grandparents have touched many lives: former drug addicts, refugees, neighbors, and my own. They have an uncommon ability to build relationships; they are a paradigm of service— where service is more than what you do and is also defined by who you are. »
By reading only these two sentences, you can already tell what inspired the person to choose this profession, what attitude they have to work, and that the person knows how to use words to express his views.
What about Fellowship Personal Statement Length
Usually, the length depends not only on the particular institution but also on the program itself. For example, an average length of fully-developed statement is around 750 words, however, such programs as dentistry may require shorter ones. generally, it’s all about finding the golden middle. If your statement is more than 850 words, it’s considered to be too long, if it’s under 650 – it’s too short. ERAS allows you to write up to 28,000 characters with spaces, which is approximately 5,200 words. But let’s be honest, nobody will read a personal statement that long. It is a success already if they read it past the first paragraph.
How to Write an Eye-Catching Rheumatology Fellowship Personal Statement
Although there are no set in stone rules as to what your personal statement should be like, there are some common guidelines you can follow in order to give the committee just what they want:
- Avoid plagiarism. If you’re using an online sample as the basis for your statement, be sure to not copy three consecutive words from the source. Your statement will be checked for plagiarism and as soon as they find any trace of it – you’re out.
- No cliches. Pretty obvious one. People are sick of reading the same things over and over again. Give them something new and fresh.
- Grammar and grammar one more time. There’s nothing more that says about your education as the ability to write grammatically correct texts. Use online tools, your friends and anything you can think of to make sure your statement if the best it can be in terms of grammar.
- Look into the future. Don’t concentrate too much on your past, shows them what future you can see for yourself in the chosen field and how this program can help you with reaching your goals.
- Make them believe in you. Tell them why you are their person, what skills and knowledge you have they can benefit from, what innovations you can bring. They like people with great ambitions.
Rheumatology Personal Statement Example
Arthritis is one deterrent that is most common among older adults. This applies most particularly when performing activities that they are really passionate about. For example, my father really loves playing basketball. Unfortunately, however, due to rheumatism, he was never able to be on a basketball court or several years. When I finally began to work on my research about its autoimmune component, I discovered that I am extremely engrossed with it.
After about five years, I introduced two drugs alongside the phase two of the clinical trials. Such two drugs worked in targeting the pathway for NF-kB transcription. Since the body’s immune system can form tolerance with specific drugs, there is ultimately a great need for available treatments for rheumatoid arthritis. I understand that my job is not yet complete. I understand that through this fellowship program in rheumatology, I now have the capability to continue in my goal of developing treatments which can target immunotherapies that are fit for this disease.
Currently, there are different types of drugs that are being offered in the market these days. Reality dictates, however, that the success rates that are being offered through these drugs are generally declining since the immune system of the body is able to develop special tolerance to drugs. With my graduate studies, I have already dealt with several challenges that are often involved in the prevention of immune regulation. I am currently working on a local anti-NF-kB injection for patients, with the hope of making sure that the treatment will not have to suffer the expected tolerance.
Ultimately, it has become my passion to search for a treatment for both arthritis and rheumatism. I am seeing a huge potential when thinking about personal experiments. I sincerely hope that through this fellowship program, I will be provided with a chance to make good use of all of my past experiences in doing research so as to become better in this field.
Get Professional Help with Your Rheumatology Fellowship Personal Statement
There is nothing wrong with hiring a professional writing company to write your geriatric fellowship personal statement especially when it helps in giving you the edge you need over the other applicants. However, if you do decide to hire someone to make sure that you choose a company that comes highly recommended. Fortunately, you don’t have to look far for one because this is what our writing service is all about. We guarantee that your personal statement will pique the interest of your reader and will increase your chances of getting chosen for the fellowship program too.
Pick the Best Rheumatology Fellowship Program
Here are top 7 of the most recognized fellowship programs in rheumatology:
- Case Western Reserve University
- NYU School of Medicine
- Hopkins Fellowship Program
- NIAMS Fellowship Program
- Feinberg School of Medicine
- UC San Diego School of Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine
Customized Personal Statement for Rheumatology Fellowship
It doesn’t matter whether you are applying for fellowship in pain management or for rheumatology; we have professional writers with the background in these industries. What we offer is a writing service that can customize your personal statement for medical fellowship based on the fellowship program that you wish to apply for. This means we only choose writers who have a background in medicine to work with us to be able to deliver a fully customized statement for you. For sure, you will be confident to hand in your application once you see the product of our work.
Expert Writing Company
Always stick with an expert writing company when it comes to writing your rheumatology fellowship personal statement. This way, you will be more confident with the outcome of your paper because only professional writers will be working on it for you. What can we offer you?
- Experts that know all the drill of ERAS application process
- Help with a wide variety of programs
- Support team that is available 24/7 via E-mail or phone
- 100% original writing and free plagiarism report to prove that
- Money-back guarantee
Don’t hesitate to choose our writing service and we’ll show you how experts work on your rheumatology fellowship personal statement!
A personal statement for a fellowship or graduate school application is your opportunity to express to the selection committee who you are and why you are a great candidate for the program. In particular, an eye-grabbing lead sentence or opening paragraph is your most important tool for maintaining the reader’s attention. Here are some examples of powerful personal statement openings of winners of highly competitive fellowships.
- “My parents are acupuncturists who made the long trip from their tiny cluster of villages in Guangzhou, China, to the quaint suburbs of Northern California, two years before I was born.”
By a winner of a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) in Macau. The applicant draws the reader to something memorable – her parents’ unique vocation – paving the way for an interesting story about her childhood and interest in working abroad. Read more.
- “Every morning at 10:00 a.m. I come face to face with the power of language to free; it happens in a classroom. The students I teach at Seattle Central Community College come from night work in an industrial bakery, from a Vietnamese refugee camp, from a 9-to-5 job in a car wash, or from the day care center where they’ve left their children.”
By a graduate fellowship applicant to the University of Washington. This opening paragraph begins to tell a story that reflects on the applicant’s work with a diverse community. Read more.
- “My grandparents have touched many lives: former drug addicts, refugees, neighbors, and my own. They have an uncommon ability to build relationships; they are a paradigm of service— where service is more than what you do and is also defined by who you are.”
By a winner of the Fulbright U.S. Student Grant. The lyrical nature of this stand-alone opening paragraph exhibits an advanced ability to use both words and punctuation to express the applicant’s personal values and how they originated. Read more.
- “Thirty years ago, my dad boarded a one-way flight to the U.S. Unlike the people he left behind, he was coming to a new country filled with educational opportunities his homeland could not provide. He was not limited by his place of birth.”
By a successful applicant to Teach for America. Immediately, the applicant has built a framework to describe his interest in education and equal opportunity, and his personal experience as a child of an American immigrant. Read more.
- “In the sixth grade, I took a test to see if I was left- or right-brained. To my elementary eyes, the result of that quiz would be the truth from on high—a resolute word that would define the man to come as either analytic or artistic.”
By a Marshall Scholar to the U.K. The applicant masterfully opens with a story to describe the early beginnings of his intellectual curiosity, a key characteristic that the selection committee seeks in applicants. Read more.
A common aspect of these opening statements is their ability to draw the reader in to a unique and memorable story that begins to describe why the applicant is applying to the fellowship. You can identify more personal statement samples like these online by Googling “personal statement example pdf” with the name of the fellowship.
For more tips on writing a compelling personal statement, see our Step-by-Step Guide For A Competitive Fellowship Application.
© Victoria Johnson 2016, all rights reserved.