Legal assistant resume sample
View this sample resume for a legal assistant, or download the legal assistant resume template in Word.
Can your resume properly defend your skills and experience? To be considered for top legal assistant jobs, resume expert Kim Isaacs says it helps to have a comprehensive resume. For resume writing tips, view this sample resume for a legal assistant that Isaacs created below, or download the legal assistant resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Additionally, you can search for legal assistant jobs on Monster.
Legal assistant resume template
Sometown, MI 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
- Client-focused, computer-savvy legal assistant with a history of exemplary-rated performance within a leading Sometown general practice law firm.
- Highly professional assistant with a comprehensive command of legal, office, administrative and clerical support functions combined with a knowledge of legal documents, court filings and legal procedures.
- Dedicated, reliable and able to handle a high volume of assignments. Known for positive attitude and flexibility—always willing to change work tasks and assist attorneys and paralegals throughout the firm.
Legal Assisting Skills
XYZ LAW FIRM (General practice law firm with 25 attorneys) | Sometown, MI
Legal Assistant, 9/2013 to Present
Support attorneys and paralegals by performing administrative, clerical and accounting functions. Handle client relations; administer payroll; manage A/P and A/R; maintain firm’s calendar; and produce documents involving litigation, contract agreements, by-laws, briefs, memorandums of law and affidavits.
Key player in providing excellent client service and ensuring smooth internal operations. Contributions:
- Introduced color-coded system that made docket calendar more effective and user friendly.
- Resolved 6-month billing backlog, bringing all accounts receivable (A/R) up to date.
- Managed a range of confidential records, processes and documents throughout legal proceedings such as litigation, settlement negotiations, depositions, divorce and criminal matters.
- Coordinated logistics and document preparation for court proceedings and meetings. Effectively managed high-volume workload of word processing assignments and court filings.
- Improved the organization and security of both paper and computerized files. Implemented new systems and safeguards to protect confidential client information and firm records.
- Ensured prompt responses to phone/email inquiries and displayed professionalism in all client interactions.
SOMENAME COMMUNITY COLLEGE | Sometown, MI
Associate of Science, General Business(GPA: 3.75)
Advanced user of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint
Familiar with legal research programs (Westlaw, LexisNexis and eLaw)
Legal Assistant Cover Letter Sample 1:
I am a serious, hardworking, detail oriented, forward moving, sharp, focused and reliable individual who is a quick learner and an efficient multitasker. I am a self-starter who is self-motivated with the abilities to independently manage and timely complete projects as well as successfully contribute my skills to a team.
My plaintiff/defendant litigation experience covers the areas of complex litigation, labor/employment, insurance defense, products liability, healthcare and medical malpractice. My responsibilities included processing of court filings, e-filings; word processing; filling out forms; on-line research regarding court rules; and calendaring in Compulaw for all state, federal and appellate courts. My experience also included drafting transmittal letters, forms, pleadings, marital agreements, legal separation papers, child custody papers; scheduling depositions, court reporters, mediators, arbitrators; production of documents; exhibit assembly; management of data bases, hard files; and handling of all aspects of law office management.
My transactional experience covers the areas of corporate, corporate securities, real estate and entertainment. My responsibilities included filling out forms (i.e., statement by domestic stock corporation, commissioner of corporations, fictitious business name statements, stock certificates, and trust forms); voluminous word processing of leases, sub-leases, liens, agreements (i.e., partnership agreements, employee agreements, merchandise agreements, purchase and sale agreements, deeds, articles of incorporation, bylaws, minutes); conducting research with the Secretary of State, Department of Corporations and submitting documents to the County Recorder’s office; maintaining minute books, compiling final conservatorship accountings; and administrative duties.
I have excellent skills in formatting/fixing extremely complicated documents as well as strong skills in grammar, proofreading, typing, macros, heavy revisions, redlining, transcription, TOCs/TOAs, scanning, bookmarking, bates labeling, archiving emails, indexing storage/closed files, etc.
Please contact me by phone or email at your convenience to arrange for an interview. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Legal Assistant Cover Letter Sample 2:
Your posting for a legal assistant indicated requirements that closely match my background and expertise. I have attached my resume to provide a summary of my qualifications and background for your review.
Throughout my career, I have maintained the highest performance standards within a diverse range of administrative functions, which is clearly illustrated by my past successes. Most recently, as a Litigation Assistant/ at Luke Von den Gard & Smith, P.A., I have contributed to an increase in the firm’s bottom line, and achieved higher payouts for our clients by effectively negotiating down liens imposed by government and healthcare entities. I have also streamlined operations and reduced costs by consolidating operations and negotiating competitive rates with service providers. Additionally, while serving as a Legal Assistant to a Senior Partner of Prattel Barnett, I created a highly effective organizational and filing system which streamlined office functioning and improved time management.
Further qualifications I offer include the following:
- Successful track record supporting the efforts of executive-level staff, including CFOs, presidents and senior partners.
- Strong background in all aspects of office management, from scheduling meetings and coordinating travel to overseeing budget and accounting functions.
- Ccapacity to develop and maintain comprehensive administrative processes that improve the efficiency of day-to-day operations.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, an outstanding work ethic, and the ability to work well in both team-oriented and self-directed environments.
I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you to discuss my qualifications and candidacy in further detail. Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Legal Assistant Cover Letter Sample 3:
I have recently relocated to New York, where I hope to continue serving as a legal assistant. My work with first-rate attorneys enables me to offer you an exceptional mix of training, knowledge, experience, and professionalism. My experiences have built a foundation that has provided me with the necessary skills to conduct business on a professional and executive level to improve customer satisfaction and business results through effective communication and organization.
As you will see on the enclosed resume, I have worked for several years in a law firm in the Maryland area. I am proficient in many areas of criminal, domestic and civil trials with an additional concentration in personal injury cases. As a result, I can offer you an unusual level of expertise in researching case law, drafting complaints and discovery requests as well as responses to counterclaims, motions for discovery sanctions, motions for summary judgments, and motions to dismiss. Also, I have worked in a temporary capacity at a workers compensation law firm which has helped me gain further experience and expanded my knowledge of the workers compensation rules and procedures.
The attorneys with whom I have worked with have provided me with recommendations to aid me in my search. I would appreciate the opportunity to present these to you, and to introduce myself as a candidate for the position at your firm. Please contact me by phone or e-mail during the day or evening, so we can schedule a time to discuss things further.